I decorated a flan with a drizzle of honey, and my torch produced a toasted spiral. That was just fructose plus proteins, with a little heat, to produce advanced glycation end products (AGE) that are brown. If you prefer, you can do the same reaction with egg whites and sugar in meringues, or by grilling brined pork chops basted with honey and anchovy paste. Fructose is 10X better than other sugars at producing glycation, AGE and browning.
- Sugars in baked goods or blood, react with amino acids or proteins to make inflammatory AGEs.
- Blood sugar tests only measure glucose and ignore fructose, which is even more unhealthy. So, foods laced with fructose can be low glycemic, but very unhealthy.
- The major AGE in blood is HgA1C.
- Diabetics have more stable, lower blood sugar on low carb diets, e.g. my Anti-Inflammatory Diet. The liver produces needed blood sugar from protein.
- Diabetic use of fructose or agave nectar or honey encourages AGE, inflammation and diseases of diabetes.
- Starch (not RS) is the only polysaccharide digested by gut enzymes and is high glycemic.
- AGE is inflammatory leading to artery plaque and hypertension.
- AGE as browned foods are probably tolerated by the body.